In 1879 the Justin Boots story began, when H.J. Justin set out for Lafayette, Indiana. He left to start a new life in Spanish Fort, Texas. He started out as a boot repairman, soon after H.J. began working out of his home starting his own boot company.
In 1889 a railroad was built in Nocona, Texas, H.J. decided to move his business and family there because he wanted to capitalize on the larger market.
John and Earl came to work for their father, in 1908. Because of this the company was renamed H.J. Justin and Sons. By 1910, Justin boots were being sold in 26 states, Mexico, Canada and Cuba. The going price was $11 a pair.
After their father's death in 1918, Earl, Avis and John took over the business. The brothers moved the company headquarters to Fort Worth in 1925.
John Justin, Jr. purchased controlling interest in the company in 1948. H.J. Justin & Sons were soon growing and expanding again. The company made a deal in 1968, with Acme Brick, which was another Fort Worth company with pioneering roots. The partnership soon became known as Justin Industries.
When John Jr. purchased the controlling shares from his aunt, Enid Justin, in 1981, Nocona Boot Company became part of Justin Industries. Chippewa Shoe Company was added to the Justin family of brands three years later. Justin Industries purchased their competitor Tony Lama Boots in 1990 after years of very intense rivalry.
Justin Boots was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway in August of 2000, which was then managed by Warren Buffett. With a lasting tradition of quality, a talented management team and strong financial backing, today Justin Boots is stronger than ever.